RAINBOW MOUNTAIN FULL DAY HIKE
We will pick you up early from your Cusco hotel around 03:00 am and set out on a drive through the South Valley. The drive to the trailhead at Quesiuno (4,326 m / 14,189 ft) is 3 hours long. On the way we will provide you with coffee and some sandwiches (at the hotel you may not have option to get breakfast).
We then start off on our hike, following a lovely stream. You will be immediately surprised by literally herds of alpacas and llamas. We will have consistent views of the Ausangate Mountain. We will hike through villages and interact with the local residents. We will stop for our box lunch along the trail.
Back on the trail, we encounter more of the traditional elements of this trek. This includes potato fields and unique fauna. We have the prospect of seeing chinchillas and vicunas. Vicunas are the only non-domesticated animal of the llama family in Peru. Many red mountains are also a highlight of this portion of the hike.
After a total hike of approximately 5 hours, we finally reach our destination, what we came to see….the Rainbow Mountains (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). After getting over the staggering, awe-inspiring beauty, you will have time to explore the area. You will have time to take pictures and soak in the environment. We will spend approximately 30 minutes at the top.
At this point, it is time to go back down. We hike downhill the way we came. The hike will take 4 to 5 hours. Our private van will be waiting for us when we return.
We will embark on the 3 hour drive back to Cusco and drop you off at your Cusco hotel. Approximate arrival time is between 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
- Professional Bilingual English speaking tour guide (additional tour guide for groups of nine people or more).
- Pre-Departure Briefing at your hotel 1 or 2 days before your trek.
- Pick up from your hotel and transportation to beginning of the trek.
- Return transportation from Quesiuno to your Cusco hotel.
- One simple breakfast, one box lunch.
- Emergency oxygen bottle and medical kit.
DOES NOT INCLUDE:
- Trekking poles – you can rent them from us
- Travel /Health / Emergency insurance
- Horses (Option to hire one if you need at the beginning of the trek)
* Any other special consideration, limitations or restrictions
People who want to visit the rainbow mountain need to be really well acclimatized, If not, the hike will be really hard, even if we give you the option to hire horses on the way.
Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m / 14,189 ft
Highest Elevation: 5,020 m / 16,466 ft
Distance to walk: 15 km / 9 ¼ miles
Approximate walking time: 5 to 6 hours up; 4 to 5 hours down
Level of Difficulty: Challenging to Hard
For further information please email us to email@example.com