UNESCO Wooden Churches and Local Life
Maramures is one of the most representative regions in Romania where village locals have preserved the rural culture of our ancestors: old traditions, crafts and a self-sustainable way of life. With few signs of modern life, the region lives in a time bubble. And when you see the charming rolling hills, UNESCO wooden churches, friendly locals and delicious food – you will have a unique memory!
Moments to expect during the Maramures tour:
See the 300 year old UNESCO Wooden Churches
These wooden churches are unique in Romania and in the Christian religion. We will learn about the history, traditions, architecture and superstitions surrounding these churches. And, importantly, why wood has been used to build them and as a way of artistic expression.
Taste the traditional ‘palinca’ – if you can handle it!
We will visit a local brandy distillery where we will learn how it is made and taste different flavours of ‘palinca’ or ‘tuica’, as it is called in other parts of the country. Beware – strong spirit, only for the brave! 🙂
Prepare for local food and traditional dishes
On our first day, a young local family invites us to taste products from their own farm and the delicious dishes of Maramures region. But even with our other meals – expect lots of tasty and healthy food from one of the most rich culinary regions of Romania.
Stay at a local guesthouse
You will stay in a local guesthouse with clean and comfortable rooms, en suite bathroom and all other essentials needed for your trip. And you’ll experience firsthand how welcoming the locals from Maramures region really are!
What you need to know about this guided tour of Maramures:
• This is a private 2 day trip starting from Cluj-Napoca showing you the best of Maramures region
• All-inclusive: all transport, 1 night stay in local guesthouse, half board, entrance fees to 3 sights and special tasting event
• We will visit the UNESCO Wooden Churches (not all 8), the Victims of Communism Memorial in Sighetu Marmatiei and the Merry Cemetary of Sapanta, the most important sights in Maramures and admire the region
• Enjoy traditional and delicious Romanian dishes made with locally sourced, home-grown produce prepared by the locals. You will also attend a tasting of the Romanian traditional drink ‘palinca’ at a local producer
• Accommodation at a local guesthouse where owners make their own cheese, wine or cured meats. Depending on the season, you could see the making-of process live!
• Responsible tourism at its best: you will meet lots of locals, learn about their lives, homes and see live crafts like woodcarving or knitting. Please be mindful of this.
For more details on the tour and booking, please visit our website and find all of our Romanian Private Guided Tours.